HARVEY R. HELLER
is a shareholder, Managing Director and Chairman of the firm's Defense and Insurance Coverage Practice Group. Harvey is the creator of our Result Focused Case Management System
®. He is an honors graduate of Michigan State University, as well as a cum laude graduate of Detroit College of Law. In addition to being an active litigator, Mr. Heller is a member of the Michigan State Bar Foundation Fellows and the Michigan Defense Trial Council. On a national level, Mr. Heller is a member of the American Bar Association Standing Committee on Lawyers’ Professional Liability, the International Association of Defense Counsel, as well as the Claims & Litigation Management Alliance. He has authored articles on the subject of professional liability and has been a featured speaker at professional liability seminars.
Mr. Heller has been continuously selected by his peers for inclusion in the Michigan edition of Super Lawyers®
since 2006 and Best Lawyers in America®
since 2003 in the areas of insurance law and legal malpractice law-defendants. He also has the added distinction of being recognized as the Best Lawyers® 2015 Detroit "Lawyer of the Year"
for insurance law and the 2019 Detroit "Lawyer of the Year"
for legal Malpractice Law - Defendants. This is a prestigious honor bestowed upon those in high-profile legal specialties in large legal communities. Only a single lawyer, who has earned high ratings in peer review surveys, as well as a high level of respect among their peers in a particular specialty in each community, is honored with this special recognition. Additionally, Mr. Heller has been named to DBusiness Magazine’s
Top Lawyers, a peer-review list honoring excellence in 50 legal practice areas, and has been recognized as a Michigan Leading Lawyer.
Clients have the following comments on his abilities:
- "Harvey and his team take the time to discuss matters and explain them in a way that the listener understands. They do not speak above people. They are extremely prompt in returning calls and are very in tune with clients' needs and expectations. Harvey has the unique ability to see a case for its ultimate exposure very quickly so that matters can be resolved quickly."
- "Harvey Heller has a no nonsense approach to law and to life. He always knows what the bottom line is. He takes the most direct route to the solution and gets great results. Harvey also surrounds himself with good people. People who think like he does and who want to excel at their jobs and in their personal lives."
- "Harvey's most important attribute is his ability to see the human side of business deals. Harvey has great insights into the thought process of a Plaintiff and what it might take to resolve a dispute. Further, he can break through the ego, pride and self dealing of the parties to encourage a settlement which brings all sides together. He has a great ability to act as a deal maker, and to try a case when needed."
- "Harvey is a natural leader and communicator. People respect his opinion and judgement. "
- "Harvey exhibits diligence, common sense, analytical skills and the ability to communicate at all levels. In addition, he is humorous when needed and sober when serious thought is required. He has the unique ability to handle whatever comes his way. On top of that, he has the ability to tie a perfect bow tie!"
- "Harvey has the ability to always cut to the chase and see the forest for the trees."
DETROIT COLLEGE OF LAW, Detroit, Michigan, Juris Doctor, cum laude, 1976
MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY, East Lansing, Michigan, B.A., with honors, 1973
STATE BAR OF MICHIGAN
AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION
MICHIGAN DEFENSE TRIAL COUNSEL
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF DEFENSE COUNSEL
CLAIMS & LITIGATION MANAGEMENT ALLIANCE
Harvey R. Heller and Steven M. Wolock Discuss Legal Defense Issues