TWENTY-EIGHTH ANNUAL TAX SYMPOSIUM
November 2, 2019
The Inn at St. John’s
44045 Five Mile Road, Plymouth, MI 48170
Registration begins at 8:00 am and a continental breakfast will be served. The presentations will commence at 8:30 am and conclude at 12:30 pm.
Trust Accounting for Accountants
Geoffrey N. Taylor
- Is it the Same as Financial Accounting? Tax Accounting?
- Principal Beneficiaries Versus Income Beneficiaries
- Reporting to Beneficiaries or (Gasp!) a Court
Stay Classy: The Tax Consequences of Worker Classification
- Overview of Tests for Worker Classification for Tax Purposes
- Consequences of Misclassification
- Worker Classification in the “Gig Economy”
Insolvency and Bankruptcy Tax Issues
David M. Eisenberg
- Cancellation of Debt Income
- Bankruptcy Discharge of Unpaid Income Taxes
- Non-Dischargeable Tax Debt
Roundup of Recent Tax Developments
William E. Sigler
- TCJA Guidance
- New Laws, Cases and Rulings
- Practice Pointers
The Wonderful World of Common Area Maintenance
Gary A. Kravitz
- What is CAM and How Does it Work?
- How Do You Protect Tenants?
- The Role of the Accountant
Representations and Warranties in a Business Purchase Agreement
Stuart M. Bordman
- What Representations and Warranties Should be Included or Avoided?
- What is the Difference Between a Representation and a Warranty?
- Obligation to Disclose Exceptions
Unemployment Insurance Tax Strategies and Forms
Kaitlin A. Brown
- Factors That Influence Unemployment Insurance Tax Rates
- Avoiding SUTA Dumping Penalties Upon a Transfer or Sale of Business
- Strategies for Compliance: Distinctions Between Employee Leasing Companies
Back from the Dead – New Rules for Health Reimbursement Accounts
Marc S. Wise
- New Individual Coverage HRAs for 2020
- New Notice and Documentation Requirements
- New Excepted Benefit HRAs for 2020
Help – My Client Has Cryptomania!
Robert D. Kaplow
- What is Cryptocurrency and Why do I Care?
- Income Tax Aspects of Using Cryptocurrency
- Estate Planning Issues Regarding Cryptocurrency and Digital Assets
Missing Plan Participants: What’s the Problem
Charles M. Lax
- What Constitutes a Missing Participant?
- What is a Plan Sponsor’s Obligation to Locate Missing Participants?
- What Methods are Available to Locate Missing Participants?