Our group has successfully represented many clients in real and personal property tax related issues, specifically the overpayment of personal property taxes. We know the discrepancies that exist in how taxes are calculated and, as a result, the negative financial impact.
In recent years, the disparity between state depreciation guidelines and the true value of personal property often has resulted in a significant overpayment of taxes. To further complicate matters, personal property taxes represent a significant source of revenue for local governments with the incentive to address overpayment falling solely on our clients. We understand the complexities of this issue and can help you take on the most demanding challenge while controlling the cost of your tax appeal.
Our creative property tax appeal lawyers use a proven six-step solution that explores various aspects of real and personal property tax assessments. We find aggressive ways to help clients reduce their tax burdens and, where appropriate, successfully handle their appeal process. Here are the steps:
- Disparity determination (between assessed value and fair market value) warranting an appeal
- Substantiate preliminary findings through evidence evaluation
- Board of Review appeal (if necessary and/or appropriate)
- Michigan Tax Tribunal appeal
- Collaboration with municipality (assessor’s office) to achieve resolution
- Litigation proceedings if no resolution achieved