RITA LAUER, a member of the firm’s Corporate and Employment groups, advises on business and employment litigation and complex commercial transactions. Her clients include companies of all sizes involved in every phase of the commercial life cycle – ranging from small and emerging entrepreneurial businesses to large corporations – and for all of whom she goes above and beyond in realizing the right result.
Rita brings proven skill and a diverse background in representing clients in their business operations. This includes defending administrative/governmental complaints, negotiating and drafting purchase agreements, lease agreements, and advising on employment matters. Rita also assists with corporate “minute” books and record maintenance for existing corporate clients, including drafting meeting minutes, issuance and redemption of corporate stock, and amending buy-sell agreements.
An astute negotiator and engaging people person, Rita has demonstrated her ability to establish the synergy needed to negotiate and close important IT contracts, such as website development agreements and the like. She is fluent in the negotiation and drafting of commercial leases, as well as in litigating employee claims on behalf of employers, drafting employment handbooks and policies, and advising in-house HR departments on various employment-related issues.
Rita is valued for her ability to litigate high-profile, complex, and often difficult-to-win cases before state and federal courts. Analytical, pragmatic, and resolute in her steadfast determination to succeed, Rita is an agile communicator in litigious and non-litigious settings. She knows how to be tough when it is needed most while also being diplomatic in matters that should be handled with a high level of discretion.
An advocate and problem-solver, Rita has appeared before federal and state courts on behalf of myriad business clients. She has negotiated favorable settlements in litigation and non-litigation matters, examined/cross-examined and defended witnesses, as well as worked with various experts. Rita takes pride in finding innovative and cost-effective solutions to the challenging and varied legal problems. She delivers practical legal counsel through every stage of the dispute resolution process. She strives to provide advice that maximizes her client’s chances of a favorable outcome while minimizing the impact of a protracted dispute.
A member of the State Bar of Michigan, Rita is admitted to practice before the State of Michigan Supreme Court, the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan. Prior to joining private practice, Rita served as an attorney for the City of Saginaw, City Attorney’s Office and as a litigation clerk for the New York State Attorney General’s Office.
Representative Cases and Matters
- Negotiated and drafted corporate “divorce” of large 501(c)(3) corporate non-profit. Drafted and negotiated asset purchase agreement, employee transfer agreements, commercial lease agreements, release of liens, assignments of vendor contracts, and non-disclosure agreements.
- Acted as lead counsel in a 2+-year high-profile, derivative litigation against auction house for price fixing with another auction house that was settled out of court in favor of client’s shareholders. Managed and facilitated litigation and administrative proceedings with 20+ attorneys across the U.S.
- Secured dismissal in a non-compete claim made against secondary employer for breach of employee’s non-compete.
- Secured dismissals in breach of warranty/consumer protection claims made against RV manufacturer in several cases filed in Oakland and Genesee County.
- Negotiated commercial expansion between auto dealership and major auto manufacturer per dealer agreement. Negotiated loan agreements, security agreements, assignment of liens and amendment on dealer agreement with major auto manufacturer’s financing arm.