STEVEN D. SALLEN began his career at Maddin Hauser in 1983, as a law clerk. Today, he is the President and Chief Executive Officer of the firm. Mr. Sallen received his undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan, and his law degree, cum laude, from the University of Detroit School of Law, where he served as Case and Comment Editor of the University of Detroit Law Review. Mr. Sallen concentrates his practice in the areas of real estate law, environmental law and corporate law, and his clients include some of Michigan's most successful manufacturing firms, real estate developers, general contractors, and commercial real estate brokers. Mr. Sallen is also the head of Maddin Hauser's Environmental Law Practice Group, and co-chair of the Real Estate Practice Group.
Reflective of his problem-solving approach to transactional issues, Mr. Sallen's many publications include: From Lemons to Lemonade; Successful Management of Lease Termination Negotiations Can Lead to New Opportunities For Commercial Property Owners (Michigan Lawyers Weekly, April 21, 2008) and New IRS Rules for Lenders May Help Troubled Commercial Borrowers (Michigan Lawyers Weekly, November 2, 2009).
In 2009, Mr. Sallen developed the Commission-Safe® Marketing Program, a proven system of re-useable tools and checklists, training and consulting for commercial real estate brokers, making Mr. Sallen a go-to resource for many of southeast Michigan’s premier commercial brokers.
Mr. Sallen has been continuously selected by his peers for inclusion in the annual edition of Best Lawyers in America® since 2010 in the area of real estate law and since 2020 in the area of business organizations (including LLCs and partnerships). For many consecutive years, he has also been named a Michigan Super Lawyer© and a Top Lawyer by DBusiness Magazine©, in the field of real estate law. Mr. Sallen has also been recognized in Michigan Lawyers Weekly’s 2020 Hall of Fame, named a Michigan Leading Lawyer in the areas of commercial and finance real estate law, and selected for inclusion in the Top Attorneys of North America 2018-2019 edition of The Who’s Who Directories.
Mr. Sallen resides in an “empty nest” in Orchard Lake, Michigan with his wife and two dogs.
Significant Recent Projects
- While acting as general counsel and member of its Board of Directors, Mr. Sallen assisted the owners and senior management team of the Garden Fresh Salsa Company with the sale of substantially all of the assets of its fresh salsa, hummus, dips, and tortilla manufacturing operations to a subsidiary of the Campbell’s Soup Company. The $231 million dollar sale price was widely reported by local and national media outlets.
- Mr. Sallen assisted a local real estate entrepreneur in negotiating the purchase of a Kmart anchored shopping center and subsequent buyout of the remaining term of Kmart’s lease. After possession of the anchor space was secured Mr. Sallen worked with our client to negotiate the terms of new leases for the former Kmart space, with three national brand big-box retailers.
- Mr. Sallen assisted a Michigan-based, but with global presence, internet marketing firm in negotiating a lease of multiple floors in one of Southeast Michigan’s tallest office buildings.
- Working closely with the firm’s Complex General Civil Litigation Department, Mr. Sallen has been instrumental in preventing the City of Pontiac from demolishing the iconic Phoenix Center parking deck, rooftop plaza and outdoor amphitheater. Demolition of the Phoenix Center would destroy the value of our client’s two, eight-story office towers, by leaving them with nowhere to park cars for up to 385,000 square feet of office space.
- Mr. Sallen assisted our client in successfully negotiating the termination of a long term ground lease with a regional grocery/superstore, and selling the property outright to the grocery/superstore chain. This multi-million dollar deal was, quite literally, the “transaction of a lifetime” for our client, and also for the referring real estate broker.
UNIVERSITY OF DETROIT SCHOOL OF LAW, Detroit, Michigan, Juris Doctor, cum laude, 1984
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN, Ann Arbor, Michigan, B.A., 1981
AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION
STATE BAR OF MICHIGAN
DETROIT METROPOLITAN BAR ASSOCIATION FOUNDATION - FELLOW
Opening Remarks, Twenty-Third Annual Tax Symposium